Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Back in the Lab

"Okay Doc, what do you have for us?"

Nikolai Belov looked up from the work he was doing with red-rimmed eyes. It was apparent he hadn't had any sleep since the first successful mission had brought back a treasure trove of alien artifacts and biological specimens.

"Astra, these things are..." he waved his hand vaguely across the lab towards his fellow scientists working feverishly at their benches, "...a lot to take in. There are things that just don't make sense while others are vaguely similar to the Roswell Artifacts. It's going to take some time-"

"We don't have time, Doc," Astra Shadrin interrupted. "Our guys are dying out there. We need - I need something to give to my team. Without it, we're doomed. Humanity is doomed."

"I know," Nikolai sighed. "I know..."

* * * * * * *


I just received a copy of the new 5150 Star Army book. I had thought it was just another scenario book so I didn't look closely at it, but it is an update to the 3.0 rules! Now I don't have to try to mash two separate but similar rulesets together. However, that means it's going to take me a little time to digest all the stuff and see how I need to tweak the changes I already made.


Speaking of changes, one of the things that I was thinking of doing was splitting Rep into "Skill" and "Rank." Skill would be used like Rep and Rank would be used for Leader rolls. Rookie = 1, Squaddie = 2, Sergeant = 3, Captain = 4, Colonel = 5, Commander = 6. Promotion would be based on number of kills (Obvious Dead or Out of the Fight) like the computer game. There would be a greater penalty for a higher rank getting killed than for a lower rank. Hmm...I'll have to give it more thought as one of the side effects of that would be if a squad of nothing but Rookies was fielded (like in a first mission), X-Com would have to roll a "1" to activate...the aliens would likely slaughter them. On the other hand, I've had games like that...

No comments:

Post a Comment